Updated: 20 Nov 23 11:52
Published: 15 Nov 23 11:53
Adding to the long list of cricketing records, Virat Kohli has written a new chapter in the history books - overtaking Sachin Tendulkar to become the first cricketer to score 50 ODI centuries.
We look at some of the most remarkable records from one of the sport's all-time greats.
- Three players have more than 30 ODI centuries – Rohit Sharma (31), Sachin Tendulkar (49) and Virat Kohli (50) – Tendulkar’s 49th century came in his 451st innings; Kohli’s 49th century came in his 277th innings.
- Of all the players with four or more ODI centuries in a calendar year, Kohli has the best century-per-innings percentage (43.5%).
- Kohli is the second fastest player to 6,000 and 7,000 ODI runs. He’s the fastest to 8,000, 9,000, 10,000, 11,000, 12,000 and 13,000. He has 70 innings to score 206 runs to become the fastest to 14,000.
- Only five players have scored 50+ ODI runs on more than 100 occasions; Kohli is the only batter to do it in inside 300 innings.
- Only six players have averaged more than 55 in ODIs. Only one other than Kohli has averaged more than 55 over 100+ innings (Babar Azam – 114 innings); Kohli has averaged 58.56 over 279 innings.
- Only 10 players have scored more than 10,000 T20 runs – Kohli is the only one to average more than 40.
- Kohli is the fastest player to 3,000 T20I runs, the fastest to 3,500 T20I runs, and the only player with more than 4,000 T20I runs.
- Kohli is the only player with more than 1,000 T20I runs to average 50+.
- Kohli has the most IPL runs with 7,263, more than 600 clear of second-place Shikhar Dhawan.
- In 2018, Kohli became the fastest player to score 1,000 ODI runs in a calendar year.
- Kohli is the only player with 10 scores of 50+ in Cricket World Cups.
- Highest averages of players who scored more than 1,100 ODI runs in a calendar year:
1 - Virat Kohli (133.55 – 2018)
2 - AB de Villers (79.53 – 2015)
3 - Ricky Ponting (79.11 – 2007)
4 - Virat Kohli (76.84 – 2017)
5 - Virat Kohli (72.47 – 2023)
- Only six players have scored more than 600 runs in a single Cricket World Cup; Kohli is the only one to surpass 700 (765).
- Don Bradman and Rahul Dravid are the only men to have scored double-hundreds in three consecutive Test series. Virat Kohli has done it in four.
- Kohli is the top run-scorer in T20 World Cups and one of only two to surpass 1,000 runs.
- Of the top 36 run-scorers in T20 World Cups, Kohli has the highest average with 81.50. Kevin Pietersen is second with 44.61.
- Kohli has the most 50+ scores in T20 World Cup with 14. No one else has reached 10.
- As well as the most runs in a single Cricket World Cup, Kohli has the most runs in a single T20 World Cup (319), and is one of only four players to surpass 300 runs at a T20 World Cup.
- Kohli is the only player to have been named Player of the Tournament at more than one T20 World Cup.