Skip to content
Join
  1. Football
  2. World Cup

World Cup Injury update: Karim Benzema misses out for France

With the squads being announced for the World Cup in Qatar, here's a look at the latest injury news ahead of the major tournament.

WhatWorld Cup
WhereQatar
When20th November - 18th December 2022
How to watchBBC & ITV
OddsBrazil 4/1, Argentina 11/2, France 6/1, England 8/1, Spain 17/2

Benzema blow for France

France striker Karim Benzema has been ruled out of the World Cup in Qatar on the eve of the tournament after suffering an injury in training.

Benzema had been expected to lead the line for Didier Deschamps's side, but he suffered an injury during a session on Saturday. 

The French coaching staff had initially hoped that this would keep Benzema out of their first match against Australia, but scans revealed further damage. 

The Real Madrid forward recently won the 2022 Ballon d'Or - awarded to the world's best player - after helping his club win the Champions League and La Liga, but he will now fly home for treatment. 

After an MRI scan, doctors confirmed Benzema's injury requires a three-week recovery period, and the 34-year-old says it is time to put the team first.

Good news for South Korea

There will have been some nervy days for South Korea ahead of the tournament with talisman Heung-Min Son being forced to have surgery on a fractured eye socket.

Some pundits suggested Son’s World Cup dreams were over, but the Tottenham Hotspur forward has been named in the squad for the major tournament in the Middle East.

South Korea start their World Cup campaign on 24th November against Uruguay at the Education City Stadium, and Son will be hoping to be ready for the opener in Al Rayyan.

Related World Cup News

Liam Flin's World Cup Tips

Mark Langdon's World Cup Tips

James Milton's World Cup Tips

Mane misses out for Senegal

Senegal confirmed on Thursday that Bayern Munich talisman wouldn't be involved in their World Cup campaign.

The former Liverpool forward suffered a tendon injury against Werder Bremen and initial reports suggested the 30-year-old would miss the competition.

Mane was named in Senegal’s World Cup squad and his nation announced on Tuesday that he would miss their "first games" as he continued to recover.

However, the Lions of Teranga have since revealed that Mane requires surgery on his knee and they will need to try and manage without their star man in Qatar.

Senegal kick off their campaign crunch opening game against the Netherlands on 21st November in Doha.

They are 6/1 to win that first match, with the draw at 3/1 and a Dutch win available at 8/15.

Heartbreak for Jota

One man who won’t be heading out to the Middle East this week is Liverpool forward Diogo Jota.

The Reds star suffered a calf injury against Manchester City and there were hopes he would be able to recover in time for the World Cup.

However, Jota was not named in Portugal’s squad and misses out on the tournament.

Looking on the positive side, Jota’s injury does not require surgery and Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will be hoping to have his forward back soon after the Premier League season resumes in late December.

Portugal’s best finish at a World Cup came in 1966 when they finished third in the competition hosted in England.

The Portuguese are 14/1 to get their hands on the trophy for the first time in Qatar.

Dybala makes the cut

Despite an injury scare, Roma forward Paulo Dybala has made the 26-man Argentina squad for the World Cup.

The former Juventus forward suffered a hamstring injury but is believed to be recovering well and should feature in the group stages for Argentina, as they prepare to go up against Mexico, Poland and Saudi Arabia.

There are other names in the Argentina squad that have made the cut despite nursing knocks coming into the tournament.

Juan Foyth and Angel di Maria had knee and hamstring injuries respectively but both have earned call-ups.

The same can be said for midfielder Exequiel Palacios and striker Nico Gonzalez, with the pair selected despite both having suffered from recent hamstring issues.

Unfortunately for Giovani Lo Celso, the World Cup has come too soon for the Tottenham Hotspur loanee who requires surgery after being injured playing for Villarreal.

Argentina have won the World Cup on two previous occasions and are 11/2 to claim the title for a third time this year.

Canada handed Davies boost

Canada were given a massive boost ahead of their trip to Qatar with the news that Bayern Munich’s Alphonso Davies was fit to make the squad.

The 22-year-old’s World Cup hopes were in jeopardy after he went off with a hamstring injury in Bayern’s 3-2 victory over Hertha Berlin on 5th November.

However, Davies has recovered well and is expected to start Canada’s opening game of the competition on 23rd November against one of the tournament’s dark horses in Belgium.

Canada are 6/1 to win, 7/2 to draw and 9/20 to lose to the Belgians at the Ahmad bin Ali Stadium in Al Rayyan.

Related Articles

bet365 uses cookies

We use cookies to deliver a better and more personalised service. For more information, see our Cookie Policy